Just received, please support Philipp’s efforts if you can:
We are trying to highlight the fact that the current Violence Against Women and Girls Strategy discriminates against male victims, who are (in theory) protected under this act as well.
There is currently a consultation (ending on the 19th). The consultation says: “We are particularly keen to hear from people who may feel underrepresented in previous strategies or who feel their circumstances were not supported by existing services.”
Link to the consultation:
This consultation includes male victims as well, but the language in the consultation and the questions asked make it almost impossible for male victims to fill it out.
Our organisation GenderParityUK contacted the Human Rights and Equalities Commission to complain about this clear discrimination. Unfortunately, the Commission only accepts complaints from individuals that are personally experiencing the discrimination. That’s why we need a man with experience of abuse (by a woman), who has had negative experiences with the service provision for male victims by police, family court, Domestic Abuse services, or similar services.
We would like you to:
– Fill out this form to make an equalities complaint: http://www.equalityadvisoryservice.com/app/ask
– highlight that the violence against women and girls consultation excludes male victims due to its gendered language
– that the gendered language made it difficult for you to fill it out
– that it made it difficult to share this consultation with other male victims
– that the discriminatory language re-traumatises male victims and has the potential to trigger PTSD
– that the gendered nature of the consultation prevents male victims to participate which continues the underrepresentation of male victims
– that this leads to continued lack of services for male victims
It would be great if you could do this as soon as possible and keep us updated if you hear back from the commission.
Feel free to call us, if you have questions
Our last general election manifesto is here.
If everyone who read this gave us £5.00 – or even better, £5.00 or more, monthly – we could change the world. £5.00 monthly would entitle you to Bronze party membership, details here. Benefits include a dedicated and signed book by Mike Buchanan. Click below to make a difference. Thanks.