On 2 November we emailed a letter including a FOI request to the Home Office, the department with responsibility for the police. The FOI request:
1. Do you accept that MGM is illegal in the UK? If not, what makes it legal?
2. If you accept MGM is illegal, why are the police not bringing prosecutions?
The Home Office response ended with the following ‘kick into the long grass’:
The Department of Health leads on the issue of male circumcision. Your letter has been transferred there for an official reply.
We sent a follow-up FOI request to the Home Office, and a few days ago we received a letter from a woman at the Department of Health. It begged more questions than it answered, so we’re about to send her department a letter with five new FOI requests, details here. The document consists of:
– the letter with the new FOI requests
– a detailed critique of the woman’s letter
– our original letter and FOI request sent to the Home Office
If everyone who read this gave us just £1 – or even better, £1 monthly – we could change the world. Click here to make a difference. Thanks.